National energy and climate plans – NECP
The EU’s strategic vision aims for the EU economy to be climate-neutral by 2050. This objective is in line with the Paris Agreement to keep the global temperature increase to well below 2°C and pursue efforts to keep it to 1.5°C.
To achieve this vision, the EU has set targets for 2030:
- At least 40% cuts ingreenhouse gas emissions (from 1990 levels)
- At least 32% share forrenewable energy
- At least 32.5% improvement inenergy efficiency
The integrated national energy and climate plans (NECPs) for the period 2021 to 2030 must contain a discription of planned policies and measures and investments required to achieve these targets (the Targets for the Energy Community have not yet been set, but it is to expect them to be ambitious).
The plans cover the five dimensions of the Energy Union, wich will ensure a secure energy supply and economic development:
- energy security
- internal energy market
- energy efficiency
- decarbonisation (greenhouse gas reduction and renewables)
- research, innovation and competitiveness